Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wrong

I tend to be wrong a lot. I don't remember having that problem growing up. In fact, I remember my mom often telling me, "Ali, when you're right, you're right". It's actually kind of funny now. I usually expect to be wrong and will openly tell people during a friendly or heated debate that I think it's this, but I'm usually wrong so don't listen to me. I'm OK with being wrong about some things, but there some things I hold close to me that I don't like others to mess with. I guess it depends on how passionate I am about it and how much time and effort I have invested that it just hurts more to be wrong.

For the second time in one week I've been screamed at by a client about something I supposedly did wrong, though the first time didn't break me down to tears. The screaming was completely unnecessary and her points only marginally true yet I haven't been able to shake the nauseated feeling of failure all day. I had reasons for why I did certain things and had explanations that were reasonable, but screaming makes me fold. I failed to make my case and failed to not let her affect my entire day.

oooohhhmmmmmmmmm......

Yoga philosophy talks about handling bad situations with grace, breathing to calm your emotions, and having compassion for everyone, even the people you don't like. I thank my client for testing me today. I think it's so funny that some people think they will get their point across by raising their voice. I want to say, "Use your words, dear"... though I don't think that would go over too well. At the end of the day, I can only control my actions and reaction to the situation.

One more note: This kind of reminds me of a Ted Talk I watched the other day where the host of Dirty Jobs was talking about his experience being wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment